NuvaRing Pulmonary Embolism
Since 2001, Organon, a European pharmaceutical manufacturer, has been marketing NuvaRing as an effective female contraceptive option in 32 different countries. Currently, about 1.5 million women worldwide use NuvaRing. However, there have been several reports of moderate to serious NuvaRing side effects, including heart attack, stroke and pulmonary embolism.
Potentially fatal, a NuvaRing pulmonary embolism is a severe condition in which blood clots lodge in a major artery of the lungs and dramatically impair breathing. Without immediate treatment, pulmonary embolism can be life threatening, as over 33 percent of undiagnosed cases result in death.
Symptoms of NuvaRing Pulmonary Embolism
To prevent irreversible complications of pulmonary embolism, NuvaRing users should be aware of the symptoms of this condition so that they know when to seek emergency medical care.
Symptoms of pulmonary embolism include:
- bloody cough and/or sputum
- chest pain (which can radiate to the shoulder, arm and/or jaw)
- feelings of anxiety
- increased heart rate
- leg inflammation
- sudden shortness of breath (even in absence of physical activity)
Risk Factors of Pulmonary Embolism: Who Should Avoid Using NuvaRing?
Women who are most likely to experience pulmonary embolism following use of NuvaRing include those older than 35, as well as women with a history of:
- blood clots
- deep vein thrombosis (a condition in which blood clots impede proper circulation in the deep veins of the body, particularly in the legs)
- heart attack and/or heart disease
- high cholesterol
- hormone imbalances
- hypertension (high blood pressure)
- thyroid disorders
Following NuvaRing Related Pulmonary Embolism
Women will need immediate medical care to remove the blood clot and to restore healthy breathing and blood flow. To this end, emergency treatments for pulmonary embolism typically involve:
- Anti-coagulant medications, including aspirin, heparin and/or warfarin
- Thrombolytic therapy, which involves administering extremely potent medications to dissolve blood clots when they don't respond to typical anti-coagulant drugs
- Vein filters, which are implanted within the veins to prevent blood clots from traveling throughout the body and re-lodging themselves in the lungs' arteries (and causing heart attack, stroke or another case of pulmonary embolism).
Contact a NuvaRing Attorney
Following these treatments and any further rehabilitation, NuvaRing users affected by pulmonary embolism are advised to meet with an experienced personal injury attorney to evaluate whether they have a provable legal claim against Organon.
In most cases, women who have suffered injuries related to their use of NuvaRing will be entitled to monetary compensation for their:
- medical bills
- living expenses (for temporary or permanent inability to work)
- ongoing medical treatments (if permanent damage has occurred)
- emotional and physical pain and suffering
Have you or a loved suffered a NuvaRing Pulmonary Embolism? If so, contact us today to talk to an experienced NuvaRing lawyer who will fight tirelessly to recover compensation for your losses.