NuvaRing Side Effects
Produced by Organon USA, NuvaRing is a vaginal contraceptive ring that slowly releases hormones into a women's body over a three-week period. However, despite being over 98 percent effective at preventing pregnancy, NuvaRing has been proven to cause a range of serious, potentially life threatening side effects, including:
- blood clots
- deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a condition in which blood clots lodge in the body's deep veins (usually in the legs) and impede circulation
- gallbladder disease
- heart attack
- pulmonary embolism, a condition in which blood clots migrate to the lungs and impede breathing
- severe allergic reaction
These NuvaRing side effects are severe and demand immediate medical attention to prevent further complications and, in some cases, death. Currently, about 1.5 million women worldwide use NuvaRing.
Symptoms of NuvaRing Side Effects
Given the severity of possible NuvaRing side effects, it's vital that any woman using this contraceptive device be familiar with the symptoms associated with NuvaRing. Any combination of the following can indicate the presence of serious NuvaRing side effects:
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- coughing up blood
- extreme fatigue (despite lack of activity)
- facial and/or tongue swelling
- loss of sensation on one side of the body
- swelling in the legs, feet, arms and/or hands
- vision problems
NuvaRing users who start experience the above symptoms should seek emergency medical care.
Risk Factors for NuvaRing Side Effects
As with many prescriptions, some women will have a higher risk than others for developing severe side effects. Factors that can increase the likelihood that women will develop serious side effects include:
- being over 35 years old
- having a history of blood clots, stroke, heart attack and/or DVT
- having hypertension and/or high cholesterol
- smoking (or having a history of smoking)
To appropriately assess an individual's risk, it's important that women discuss their full medical history with their doctor before starting a NuvaRing regimen. Those with a particularly high risk should consider alternative forms of birth control.
Mild NuvaRing Side Effects
Not all side effects are serious or potentially fatal. In most cases, women will only experience the following (if any) milder side effects:
- appetite changes
- breast tenderness
- cramps and/or bloating
- slight hair loss
These side effects are common and don't indicate the presence of serious health problems. However, if the above become too uncomfortable, NuvaRing users should see their doctors and consider another form of birth control.
What to Do If You Develop NuvaRing Side Effects
Women who develop serious side effects should:
- Seek immediate medical care to stabilize their health and prevent further complications.
- Switch to another form of birth control.
- Meet with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in NuvaRing lawsuits.
In most cases, women injured after using NuvaRing will have a legal claim against Organon and will be entitled to compensation for their injuries.
Have you or a loved been harmed by NuvaRing? If so, contact us today to talk to an experienced NuvaRing attorney who will evaluate your case and fight to ensure you recover compensation for your losses.