Raptiva® Side Effects
Raptiva®, generically known as efalizumab, is an injectable medication prescribed to treat psoriasis. Tragically, however, Raptiva® medication can cause some serious, life-threatening side effects, including:
• Lymphoma, cancer of the lymph nodes (the glands responsible for filtering harmful substances from the body)
• Meningitis, a bacterial or viral infection that triggers swelling of the brain and/or spinal cord
• Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), a viral infection that results in inflammation of the brain's white matter
• Sepsis, a blood infection
Without emergency medical care, these Raptiva® side effects will be fatal.
FDA Warnings About Raptiva® Side Effects
Given the severity of possible Raptiva® medication complications, on Oct. 16, 2008, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandated that Genetech and Merck Serono (the makers of Raptiva®) include a "black box" warning on the drug's packaging.
Black box warnings are the most severe FDA warning, as they indicate that a medication has the potential to cause fatality.
However, despite this elevated warning, patients will continue to develop severe health problems after taking Raptiva®. In the event of serious injury and infection, Raptiva® patients should:
• Seek immediate medical care
• Stop taking their prescribed Raptiva® dose and find an alternative psoriasis treatment
• Meet with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in Raptiva® lawsuits to find out if they are entitled to compensation for their injuries
Risk Factors for Raptiva® Side Effects
Factors that can increase patients' risk include having a history of:
• Chronic infection (bacterial, viral or fungal in nature)
• Receiving phototherapy (the use of light to treat jaundice, acne, etc.)
• Taking other immunosuppressant medications (such as those prescribed for certain cancers, organ transplants, etc.)
Similarly, Raptiva® patients should also avoid getting vaccines and avoid contact with anyone who's recently received a "live" vaccine, as this can also increase the chance of developing a serious Raptiva® infection.
Starting a Raptiva® Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has been injured after taking the Raptiva® medication, set up an initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer, during which you can:
• Find out if you have a case against Genentech and Merck Serono.
• Learn more about the process of building, presenting and winning a Raptiva® lawsuit.
• Find out about settlements in previous cases similar to your own.
• Get advice about whether pursuing an individual case or filing a class-action lawsuit is best for your needs and situation.
Raptiva® lawyers typically offer these consultations for free as incentive to encourage injured patients to stand up for their legal rights and seek out the compensation they deserve.
If You Have Been Injured by Raptiva®
Have you or a loved one been injured after taking Raptiva®? If so, contact us to speak with an experienced Raptiva® attorney who specializes in drug recall litigation & lawsuits. Let us help you win the compensation you need and deserve.