Reglan® Lawsuits and Settlements
Reglan® lawsuits are personal injury cases that seek compensation for individuals injured after taking the drug Reglan®, generically known as metoclopramide.
Prescribed in the treatment of GERD and other gastrointestinal disorders, Reglan® has also been used to treat lactation problems in new mothers. In general, Reglan® medication is taken orally up to 4 times per day (before meals and bedtime) for no longer than a 12-week period. Reglan® is made and distributed by Schwarz Pharma.
However, despite being an effective treatment for certain conditions, Reglan® has been found to cause some rare but serious side effects. In the worst cases, Reglan® side effects can be fatal.
Anyone injured after taking Reglan®, as well as families of deceased Reglan® patients, should meet with an experienced attorney to learn more about their legal rights and find out if they are entitled to a settlement for their injuries and losses.
Bases for Reglan® Lawsuits: Reglan® Side Effects
Among the most serious side effects of Reglan® are:
- agranulocytosis, a condition characterized by low levels of white blood cells (If left untreated, agranulocytosis can result in osteoporosis and other irreversible conditions.)
- aldosteronism, a condition in which the adrenal glands produce excessive hormones and cause low blood-potassium levels (If left untreated, aldosteronism can be fatal, as it may result in heart attack, heart failure, stroke or kidney failure.)
- depression and/or suicidal thoughts
- neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), a life-threatening neurological condition marked by delirium, fever and muscle rigidity
- severe allergic reaction
- tachycardia, an arrhythmia marked by increased heart rate
- tardive dyskinesia, involuntary, repetitive writhing movements affecting the face, trunk and/or limbs.
Symptoms of these side effects may include:
- anxiety and/or agitation
- increased heartbeats
- loss of consciousness
- uncontrollable movements in the eyes, tongue, jaw and/or neck.
Reglan® patients who begin to develop any of the above symptoms should:
- Seek emergency medical attention to prevent further health complications and save their lives.
- Follow through with all long-term prescribed treatments for the best chances of recovery.
- Work with their doctor to find a safer alternative to Reglan®.
FDA Mandates Black Box Warning for Reglan®
Following mounting reports of severe Reglan® side effects, on February 26, 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandated that Schwarz Pharma print "black box" warning labels on all Reglan® packaging.
Black box FDA warnings are the most serious type of FDA warning, as they alert the public that a particular medication has the potential to result in life-threatening side effects.
Along with listing some of Reglan®'s severe side effects, the new warning labels also inform patients of the risk factors for them, which include:
- taking high doses of Reglan®
- taking Reglan® for periods longer than 12 weeks.
Starting a Reglan® Lawsuit
Parties injured after taking the Reglan® drug can find out if they have a legal claim by meeting with an experienced Reglan® lawyer for a free initial consultation.
In addition to getting an expert evaluation of their case, prospective plaintiffs can get advice regarding the best manner in which to pursue their claim.
By working with an experienced Reglan® lawyer, plaintiffs can benefit from:
- access to specialists who can verify medical claims when expert testimony is needed
- professional representation in court, arbitration and/or medication proceedings
- delayed payment for legal services, as Reglan® lawyers work on contingency to encourage injured parties to stand up for their legal rights.
While winning a Reglan® lawsuit may take months, those who decide to stand up for their legal rights can win compensation for their:
- funeral and burial costs (should a Reglan® death occur)
- past hospital bills
- ongoing treatment costs
- lost wages
- permanent disabilities
- future costs of living (should permanent disabilities prevent patients from earning a living)
- pain and suffering.
If You Have Been Injured by Reglan®
Have you or a loved one been injured after using Reglan®? If so, contact us to speak with an experienced Reglan® Attorney who specializes in drug recall litigation & lawsuits. Let us help you win the compensation you need and deserve.